Tuesday, March 25, 2008

5 Great Things I Learned from the New Yorker Today

From a fantastic article by David Owen titled "Penny Dreadful." Somewhere, I'm sure, there's a comprehensive list of penny factoids, but I just culled the best ones out of his article.

1. Pennies manufactured before 1982, which are ninety-five percent copper, are valued for metal content at two-and-a-half cents apiece.

2. It costs 1.7 cents to produce a penny - meaning that every year, the U.S. mint loses fifty million dollars on penny acquisition.

3. It costs 10 cents to produce a nickel.

4. Breaking stride to pick up a penny, if it takes more than 6.15 seconds, pays less than the federal minimum wage.

5. The U.S. government used to manufacture half-pennies but stopped making them in 1857 due to their limited purchasing value. In 1857, the half-cent purchased far more than a dime does today.

See? Isn't learning fun?

On my ipod: still the mountain goats...
In my fridge: tomato and red pepper soup
On my mind: sex, love, emasculation, war bonds...and furniture

No comments: