Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pretty Boys in Flannel

So, after my phenomenally bad date at Fat Cat (which remains my favorite bar, in spite of the poor love vibes), I found myself back in Sheridan Square with my friend Jess to see a band called kneebody at Bar 55. I'm not a huge fan of alternative rock or freeform jazz, but I was totally won over by this band - a surprise, given that 1) they were sort of loud, and 2) they had no lyrics or melody to speak of. To say that they were in sync doesn't really capture it - it was more like moments of perfect synchrony, where the trumpet and saxophonist would align and improvise in tandem, and then slowly trade off until the difference was almost imperceptible. Anyone can do frenetic jazz. This was fucking amazing.

Jess, who knows more about these things than I do, said they sounded like a bunch of geeky jazz guys who had listened to too much Radiohead in music school. I don't care what it is - I think I'm in love.


In my fridge: Tea and artichokes
On my lap: Cat
On my stereo: Jerome Miniere

1 comment:

j.e.t. said...

I couldn't agree more about Kneebody. Ever since that night the memory of their music has been bouncing around in my brain. Thank you so much for introducing me to them and to the lovely 55 Bar!